Everybody knows that a delicious and nutritious breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day, and sets you up for the busy day ahead. Make sure you start your day right by choosing one of our top breakfast picks. Go on, treat yourself!
Classic French toast with Bacon & Maple Syrup
Treating yourself to some sweet St Pierre Brioche can brighten anybody’s morning – and adding bacon will make it even better!
How to Make
- Whisk together eggs, cream, (vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg – if using), and salt in a medium bowl; set aside
- Place brioche in a shallow baking dish large enough to hold brioche slices in a single layer
- Pour egg mixture over brioche; soak 10 minutes. Turn slices over; soak
until wet through, about 10 minutes more.
- Preheat oven to 250°F / Fan 100°F or Gas ½. Place a wire rack on a baking sheet, and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 of tablespoons vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Fry half the brioche slices until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Serve warm with grilled bacon and pure maple syrup, you could even add a dash of cinnamon.
Sweet Potato Hash with Eggs and Avocado Crema
If you’re looking for a spicy breakfast treat with a Spanish twist, why not bring Cinco de Mayo into your kitchen with this classic Mexican feast…
Image Credit: keeprecipes.com
How to Make
• Heat a large cast iron skillet over high heat with 2 tablespoons oil. Add the onions and spices and sauté until translucent and soft, about 5 minutes.
• Add green chilies and chorizo to the pan and stir to combine. Let the chorizo brown, about 4-5 minutes.
• Reduce heat to medium and add in the sweet potato and stir to combine. Pour in 1/4 cup of water and cover to steam the potatoes. This will take about 10 minutes. Uncover and stir every few minutes to loosen up the bits on the bottom.
• Make the crema by blending the ingredients together. If it’s a bit thick, add in water a tablespoon at a time until it reaches your desired consistency.
• Once the potatoes are soft make little divots in the hash and crack in the eggs. Cover and cook another 3-5 minutes until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny.
• To serve top with desired toppings – you could even add a yummy St Pierre brioche baguette if you’re extra hungry!
Belgian Waffles with Slow Cooked Apple & Cinnamon
Waffles are a classic American breakfast favorite – did you know that popular chain The Waffle House sells 145 waffles a minute? Make your own tasty version with this easy-to-make recipe.
How to make
• Heat a large skillet over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter, and add apples, stirring to coat until starting to caramelize.
• Add the water, cooking until water has evaporated and apples are tender, about 4 minutes. Pour in the maple syrup and a dash of ground cinnamon; simmer for a minute to combine.
• Toast St Pierre sugar waffles for up to 30 seconds, place on a plate and serve with apple-maple mixture.
Banana Bread Pancakes
Did you know that more bananas are sold than any other fruit in the US? Jump onto the healthy hype this morning with some delicious banana bread pancakes to start your day.
How to Make
• Combine sliced bananas and sugar in small bowl; set aside
• Combine pancake mix, water, mashed bananas, and cinnamon in medium bowl; stir with wire whisk until large lumps disappear.
• For each pancake, pour 1/4 cup batter onto hot lightly greases griddle; top with 3 to 4 banana slices. Turn when bottoms are golden brown.
• Serve topped with warm syrup and pecans.
The American Breakfast Muffin
You can’t go wrong with a muffin for breakfast, a healthy treat to get you through the day that tastes oh-so-naughty! What are you waiting for? Get baking!
How to Make
• Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4 and line a muffin tray with paper muffin cases.
• In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon and then stir in the sugar.
• In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs and melted butter, then pour into the dry ingredients and quickly mix together.
• Stir in the hazelnuts, dried cherries and dried cranberries.
• Divide the batter between the 12 muffin cases and sprinkle the top of each with the granola.
• Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the muffins comes out clean. Leave to cool for five minutes in the tin before serving warm or at room temperature
Which one of these popular breakfasts is your favourite?