Blood Orange French Toast
It’s frighteningly delicious.
Ring in the spooky season with sweet and tangy blood orange French toast, made with golden brioche and full of warming flavors.
6 slices St Pierre sliced Brioche Loaf
½ tsp good quality vanilla extract
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp butter
3 blood oranges (or clementines or satsumas)
1.5 can sparkling blood orange drink/soda
2 tbsp honey
½ tsp cornflour, mixed with 2 tsp cold water
- Whisk the eggs, milk, vanilla and sugar in a bowl or jug then pour into a wide shallow bowl that is large enough to dip the brioche slices into. Set aside
- Squeeze the juice from one of the oranges into a bowl. Cut the skin off the other 2 oranges with a knife on a chopping board, then carefully cut out the segments.
- Pour the blood orange drink into a small saucepan and simmer for a few minutes until reduced by about half. Stir in the squeezed orange juice and add the honey. Pour in the cornflour and water mixture and keep stirring over a medium heat until thickened and glossy. Keep warm
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat then add a little oil and a little of the butter
- Dip a slice of brioche into the egg mixture so both sides are coated then allow the excess to run off. Place in the pan and repeat with another one or two slices, depending how many will fit in your frying pan. Fry for a couple of minutes then turn and cook the other side until golden. Lift out and keep warm. Add a little more oil and butter to the pan and repeat with the other slices
- Stack the slices onto warm plates and top with the orange segments then pour over the sauce
Pre-sliced, utterly decadent and completely delicious, our sliced Brioche Loaf will make the ideal addition to your table. With a lightly sweet taste, delicate texture and irresistible richness, St Pierre’s Brioche Loaf is delicious as is or simply toasted as a snack, and as an addition to any meal.