Crab Cake Sliders
Created by online cooking class club Homemade, this easy recipe for Crab Cake Sliders features fresh flavors with a spicy kick!
For the crab cake sandwiches
4 St Pierre Brioche Sliders
1 large egg
2 ½ tablespoons mayonnaise
1 ½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper or your favorite hot sauce
1 ½ teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
½ red bell pepper, minced
1 celery stalk, minced
Chives, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
1 pound lump crabmeat, picked through
1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
Kosher salt, to taste
Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Neutral oil such as avocado, canola or peanut
Unsalted butter, room temperature
Butter lettuce, for the sandwiches
For the spicy honey mustard
1/3 cup Dijon mustard
4 tablespoons mayonnaise
4 tablespoons honey
¼ – ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
¼ teaspoon mustard powder (or yellow mustard)
- In a medium bowl whisk together the egg, mayonnaise, mustard, cayenne (or hot sauce) and Worcestershire. Add the red bell pepper, celery, chives and a couple of pinches of kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Stir.
- Fold in crabmeat followed by the panko breadcrumbs. Take care not to overmix this. Divide mixture into quarters and shape each section into discs approximately 1 inch thick. Place on a plate or tray and refrigerate.
- To make the spicy honey mustard: in a small bowl stir together the Dijon mustard, mayonnaise, honey, cayenne pepper and mustard powder (or yellow mustard). Taste and adjust sweetness and spiciness.
- Place a large skillet over medium high heat. Add enough oil to completely coat the bottom of the pan. Once the oil is hot carefully place the crab cakes in. Cook until golden brown, approximately 5 minutes. Use a fish spatula to carefully flip the crab cakes. Cook for another 4 – 5 minutes until golden brown. Transfer to a cooling rack and cover with foil.
- Wipe out the skillet and place back on the heat. Butter the inside of the St. Pierre brioche slider rolls and place buttered side down. Cook for approximately 1 minute, until lightly toasted.
- Assemble the sandwich: Spread the spicy honey mustard on both sides of the sandwich. Place a crab cake on the bottom bun, top with butter lettuce then bun.