Brioche Topped Apple Pie
Few things say “love” like Apple Pie. Warm, sweet and just tangy enough, this recipe for Brioche Topped Apple Pie tastes just the way a kiss feels.
3 slices St Pierre Brioche Loaf
1-2 cooking apples such as Bramleys (about 500g peeled and cored weight)
Juice of half a lemon
½ tsp ground pumpkin pie spice
4 tbs demerara sugar
3 tbs raisins or sultanas
2 tbs softened butter
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F conventional/Gas 4. Lightly grease an oven-proof dish with a little butter
- Peel, core and dice the apples then toss in the lemon juice and tip into a sauce pan. Add one tablespoon of cold water and cook over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Add the pumpkin pie spice, 2 tbs of the demerara sugar and most of the raisins or sultanas and cook for another 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the apples are almost tender but still have some bite. Check the sweetness and add a little more sugar if you like
- Tip the apples into the buttered dish and place the dish on a baking tray
- Spread the rest of the butter onto the slices of brioche then sprinkle them with the remaining demerara sugar. Cut each slice into quarters. Arrange the slices on top of the apples and sprinkle over the rest of the raisins
- Place the tray in the oven and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the top is golden and crunchy. Serve warm with scoops of vanilla ice cream on top – tuck in straight from the dish if you like!